As per a study conducted by Gartner, more than 50% of organizations have not yet actively started to build a roadmap for supply chain digital transformation. If you are in this category and are still contemplating how to choose a multi-modal logistics platform that works best for your company, let us give you a simple checklist to help out. But before that, let us understand what a multi-modal logistics platform does?
What is a multi-modal logistics platform?
According to Gartner, this segment of logistics and transportation platforms predominantly serves international transportation use cases with emphasis on multi-modal needs (air, rail, ocean, road). Similar to business networks, they provide a technology platform with the features of a network, logistics applications and community, yet having a narrower coverage compared to multi-enterprise business networks.
These platforms offer capabilities for supply chain operations, covering visibility and then an array of logistics/transportation management applications.
Now, while selecting a multi-modal logistics software for your company, what are the four key factors to consider? Here they are:
1. How intuitive is the multi-modal logistics software?
If you are going to automate your logistics process for the first time, make sure you opt for an intuitive, easy-to-use multimodal logistics software. Choosing a sophisticated software is not the same as choosing the right software for your company. The number one question you need to ask here is – Is this software a right fit for my everyday operation?
Invest in a software that is easy-to-use and gives you a hassle-free experience while working. You may invest in expensive logistics software, but if it is not the right fit for your everyday operations, your logistics team is going to feel more burdened at the end of the day. Not to mention the additional costs and complexities it will add to your business.
So, how to ensure that the software is intuitive, user-friendly, and a right fit for your logistics operation? Simple! Ask for a free demo from your logistics software partner. During the demo session, ask as many questions as possible. Here’s a quick checklist of questions to help you out:
- What kind of data security does the multi-modal logistics software platform have?
- Can you connect with the existing vendors on the platform?
- How quickly the onboarding process can be carried out? – the ease of the software’s integration with your existing system
- Which sector clients are mostly onboard?
- Geographical presence and support details – how the vendor would provide support across other regions?
- How is the platform different from its competitors?
Remember, you can always fill the functional gaps with your logistics software partner as you go along, but if the software is way too complicated for your team to use, the whole attempt is going to be futile.
2. Is the logistics software truly multi-modal?
You may now ask – Isn’t it obvious that the logistics software would be multi-modal since I am exploring one that says it is. Well, not always! You have to be extra careful here and confirm that the vendor you are reaching out to, can actually manage the various modes of transportation your company uses. The various modes of transportation we are talking about here are road, rail, sea, and air. The software should be able to handle cross-border freight to provide a comprehensive freight tracking solution. Here’s a quick checklist of questions you should ask to ensure your logistics software partner is really multi-modal:
- The software can manage all the modes in which you operate: Rail, road, sea, and air.
- The software should handle cross-border freight to provide a comprehensive freight tracking solution. It can present both your cross-border freight and domestic freight together for complete visibility.
- The software should support an extensive network of carriers across modes.
A multimodal logistics platform can boost your logistical efficiency significantly as it offers real-time insights over your supply chain and uncovers opportunities to save costs. Only a few platforms like GoComet can provide such functionalities as against a typical visibility platform that focuses merely on visibility.
– Chitransh Sahai | CBO, GoComet
3. Is it a cloud-based multi-modal logistics solution?
Companies these days prefer solutions that are quick and easy to implement and would give them significant cost savings in a shorter period. As per Gartner, “Companies who are looking to invest in technologies give preference to solutions that are cloud-based and can be implemented quickly. They should also allow the companies to achieve value in a short amount of time.”
So, here’s a list of questions you should ask when opting for a cloud-based multi-modal logistics software:
- Seamless system integration and process flow
- Automatic system updates
- Cost-effective subscription-based models
4. Flawless customer service
No, we are not talking about a customer support team that handles your questions or concerns and takes care of troubleshooting. We are talking about an impeccable customer success team that reaches out to the customers on its own and helps them achieve their goals. And that is the difference between opting for software and opting for a service.
Choose a logistics software partner who believes that customer service is as important as product innovation and invests in a culture of service, someone who truly believes that customer success is the heartbeat of the business.
On that note, here are the things you need to check when it comes to customer service:
- Knowledgeable customer success team
- Effective solutions on the process optimisation
- Continuous feedback from all the stakeholders
- Proactive discussions with customers to design the success strategy
- 24*7 assistance
- Robust customer communication channels
Choosing a good multi-modal logistics software will undoubtedly give companies a great return on investment (ROI) and will enable global brands to build supply chain resilience. To learn more about how multi-modal logistics software can help you achieve significant cost savings and maximize your supply chain ROI, reach out to us for a free demo.
You can also make use of our free tools to help you in your everyday logistics operation and gather useful insights.