Freight Calculator : Sea & Ocean Shipping Cost & Rates
- GoComet freight shipping calculator helps to calculate ocean & sea container shipping rates instantly. You can check real-time cost, price, rates and more with our International freight shipping calculator. Try it now!
How does GFI work?
Data sourced from the world’s leading shippers & freight forwarders
Proprietary Machine Learning algorithms create the freight price index.
Factors like major world events, supply-demand dynamics and market sentiment taken into consideration to estimate freight costs.
Most frequently asked questions
What is Freight Cost Calculator?
GoComet’s Freight Cost Calculator calculates shipping prices based on the live shipping data from major shippers, freight forwarders and shipping lines worldwide and produces a global container freight index for 40 ft and 20 ft container price.
How are container shipping prices, rates & transport costs calculated?
- GoComet Freight Cost Calculator calculates freight rates by considering over 25,000 quotes submitted on the GoComet platform every month by more than 4,000 vendors from across the world. These are actual quotes for bookings made by shippers across the globe.
- To estimate freight shipping costs, the system considers the top-rated and lowest quoting vendors on each route. Then, it runs machine learning algorithms to create the ocean freight index for a particular shipment. The proprietary algorithms are similar to those used by the World Container Freight Index and Shanghai Freight Index.
Why do freight rates fluctuate?
Freight rates can fluctuate for a variety of external reasons but are fundamentally dependent on the supply-demand dynamics. For instance, the 20 ft container price and 40 ft container price for a particular route will be affected by the supply of vessels and demand generated by shippers. In addition, ther factors like bunker prices, choke points and seasonal pressures also play a pivotal role in setting the container freight index.
What are the factors that drive shipping freight rates?
Freight transportation cost is predominantly determined by the route (from POL to POD), the size of the container (20ft container or 40ft container) and supply- demand for the container on a specific route.
How are ocean freight shipping rates determined?
Sea freight shipping costs are determined based on the nature of the goods being transported, the weight or volume of the goods, the route of the shipment and the current average 20 feet container price or the 40 feet container price.
How much weight is allowed in a 20 ft and 40 ft container?
- For a 20ft container, the total cubic capacity of a TEU is 1,172 cu ft (33.2 m3), and the payload capacity is 55,126.9 lbs (25,000 kg).
- For a 40ft container, the total cubic capacity of an FEU is 2,389 cu ft (67.7 m3), and the payload capacity is 61,200 lbs (27,600 kg).
How much does it cost to ship 20ft and 40ft containers?
The 20 feet container price depends on the route chosen and the prevailing market conditions. The 40 feet container price is approximately 20-25% higher than that of 20 feet containers.
How much does it cost to ship a container overseas?
The cost to transport a container overseas depends on the prevalent factors at a given point in time that impact 20 feet container price or the 40 feet container price.